for your inspiration banner

for your inspiration banner
Click here for just the posts about my weight loss. I hope you'll be inspired!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Success with New Years Resolutions

New Years Resolutions make me think of the old saying: shoot for the moon and even if you miss you land among the stars. If, like me you've got a long list of ways you want to overhaul your life it can seem overwhelming. Simplify it to start with and you’ll accomplish much more by the end of the year.

Pick the one thing that matters most, focus on that one. The others can be secondary goals.

Think big picture: rather than an outcome like losing __# of pounds or saving $1,000, identify a value, like health or financial security, that becomes your focus for the new year.

Get real - if your new goals are overwhelming you, ask yourself: What was my original goal? If you signed up for marathon training to be more active, but now you’re so sore you spend every night on the couch—there’s your answer. Walk the ravines or spend an hour at the gym a few times a week instead of overdoing it each day.

Give yourself a break - don't be too hard on yourself. A lot of our goals are pretty lofty. You might need to set your goal, then cut it in half in order to make it more reasonable. Then you'll actually achieve something and you can increase the goal later on! I read this inspiring thought on another blog: I’m resolving to commit to less and follow through on more.

I am still amazed that I stuck with my goals from last year. I lost 60 pounds and I've been exercising. But maybe that's why it worked, I didn't start with the daunting task of "I have to lose x # of pounds." What I decided upon was to lose weight for my testimony and my health. I planned to do it by eating less, moving more and commiting it to the Lord. He made all the difference.

A great place to seek inspiration for why you want to accomplish the goals is Titus 2:11-12: “For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.” With that in mind you don't want to lose weight/quit smoking/make more money only to improve yourself, but to live a right life. That focus makes it easier to say no to the smoke or the cheesecake!

May God bless you in this new year and infuse you with HOPE to accomplish all you set out to do for HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment