for your inspiration banner

for your inspiration banner
Click here for just the posts about my weight loss. I hope you'll be inspired!

Monday, January 9, 2012

My First Turnip Experience

I've heard you either love 'em or hate 'em. Since I never tried a turnip, nor could I have picked one out of a lineup before now, I wasn't sure where I was on the love/hate scale.

After our trip to the County Line Produce Stand to stock up for our healthy eating plan we came back with all sorts of interesting things! The newly acquired and recently identified turnip came right off the back of this tractor...talk about fresh!

I found this recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, surprised it fit with our diet plan since anything with the word "casserole" in the title generally means calorie-laden high-fat deliciousness. It's way different from anything I've tried before, but I had all the fresh veggies it called for so I figured I'd go for it.

Honestly, just slicing into the turnip had me skeptical about my even tasting it. But overall this dish was easy to make, delicious, and helped us stay on track with our meat-free healthy dinner attempt. Along with brown/wild rice this meal was a hit!

Turnip-Zucchini Casserole
2 1/2 cups cubed, peeled turnips

1 1/2 cups zucchini cut into 1/2 inch slices

1 cup cauliflower or broccoli flowerets

1/3 cup chopped onion

1 tablespoon margerine or butter

3/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed

1 clove garlic, chopped

1 large tomato, seeded and chopped

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese


In a large skillet combine turnips, zucchini, cauliflower or broccoli, onion, margerine, basic, garlic, 2 tablespoons water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or till tender. Uncover, cook 2 to 3 minutes more or till liquid is evaporated. Stir in tomato; heat through. Remove from heat. Top with cheese. Cover; let stand 1 to 2 minutes or till cheese melts. Make 6 servings. (from Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book).


The only thing I did different was add another 1/2 cup water during cooking. Wish I took a picture because it was really nice and colorful! We'll make it again for sure. Let me know about your turnip tastes!

2 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you that I am so very proud of you and I'm glad that you are sharing this part of your journey through blog. You are an inspiration & I just love you!

    ReplyDelete