for your inspiration banner

for your inspiration banner
Click here for just the posts about my weight loss. I hope you'll be inspired!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

More of What Works for Me

I'm in a season of life where, thankfully, I'm doing well in the one area that's been a struggle for all my 41 years: eating.
By reading the book, Made to Crave (www.madetocrave.org) by Lysa TerKeurst, I've realized I'm not the only one with such a difficulty. It's just that we don't generally put these things into words. Or *gasp* actually discuss them with others. Until now.

This is not a diet book, it's a look at why we crave food, or anything else for that matter, more than God. But even before I started reading it I finally had something "click" that got me going on a healthy eating and exercising plan. This is just one more tool that God has used to help keep me encouraged and on the right track.

People that see me are wondering what it is I'm eating to lose the weight. What I am NOT eating is more like it! So here it is, if you care or are wondering! And I think, like most bloggers, I'm writing this down to remind myself later on when I'm not being so victorious in this area!
I'm drinking lots of water. I find my weight loss to be greater and easier when I'm constantly drinking water throughout the day. Now if I could just sleep through the night without getting up to pee 5 times....

I'm not eating sweets or sugary things. None at all! I used to think this would be impossible. But I have found that once the sugar was out of my system I don't want that stuff. Most people will say just eat one cookie, or a small piece of cake.

Most people may be able to do that. Not this girl! Once I get a taste of it I crave sugary things and become like a drug addict looking for their next fix. It's been more than 5 months, I have not felt like I've missed out on a thing. I don't even want desserts made with sugar substitutes, it's too much like dessert, carries way to much temptation and calories, and no matter what they say it doesn't taste the same.
I'm limiting my carbs like bread and pasta. The more I eat it the hungrier I find myself for more. But I do love tortillas! Scrambled eggs and cheese wrapped in a tortilla for breakfast is one of my favorites. Even add in some sauteed onions and mushrooms, guac and salsa when I have time. Or for a quick lunch a piece of leftover chicken chopped up with cheese and lettuce and zapped in the microwave for a few seconds.

I try to eat salad at least once a day. I put all sorts of veggies in there and chop it all up really small so each bite is filled with lots of variety. By drizzling on low-fat or fat-free dressing, then stirring it all up really good, everything gets some dressing and I use a lot less of that calorie-laden stuff. And almost always I include a meat like chopped-up baked chicken, baked fish, or a can of tuna. Even sliced lunch meat if that's all that's on hand or what was on sale.

So there you have it. Or should I say, there I have it. Something to re-read when the inevitable happens. I'm prayerful that after this many times around the same mountain I've learned I need to remember this is my lifestyle now, not a temporary fix to lose a few pounds. If I go back to my old eating habits and lack of exercise I'm sure to be back where I was. It's been a great journey so far, with friends doing the same thing and I think I get more joy and excitement out of seeing their success than my own. Maybe I've finally learned my lesson.

Wanna join me?

2 comments:

  1. I think you are just great! Thanks for posting this.Extremely helpful to me right now! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete