for your inspiration banner

for your inspiration banner
Click here for just the posts about my weight loss. I hope you'll be inspired!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Dieter's Taco Salad

What I love most about taco salad (locally, LaHacienda has my favorite!) is the delicious shell bowl. It probably has a million calories. I would have taken a picture of my homemade recipe for you, if I wasn't so anxious to eat it!! But here's the deal for a super filling, ultra yummy taco salad without the caloric guilt.

Lots of lettuce and fresh spinach chopped up small
Chopped tomatoes
Chopped avocado
Sliced olives
Chopped onion
Ground turkey
Can of black beans, don't drain it
Salsa
Tortilla chips
Fat-free sour cream
Shredded low-fat or fat-free cheese

Cook the turkey with plenty of Mexican seasoning. Heat the beans.

If you start by filling your bowl with lots of greens that are chopped small you won't realize you're actually eating more lettuce than you otherwise might if it's in bigger pieces. Add in the other veggies that you like. Top it with the cooked turkey, beans and salsa. Crumble up just two tortilla chips, and stir it all together well. Stir in a little cheese or sour cream if that's allowed in your diet plan. Voila! With all the avocado I didn't even miss the guacamole.

There is a way to bake a tortilla to make your own bowl, found in this recipe, but it's just not the same as the deliciously fried, light and crispy one at the restaurant. (pardon my drool...) And anyway, the tortilla calories are better spent on a few other things. I'd love your tips for healthy recipes that are something other than just plain salad. Maybe I'll even share it on the air for my Tuesday Morning Recipe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment