for your inspiration banner

for your inspiration banner
Click here for just the posts about my weight loss. I hope you'll be inspired!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Getting Back to the Basics

"How did you do it?" is the most common question people ask me these days.  Over the weekend I enjoyed a family event, seeing people I haven't seen in years.  Being 75 pounds lighter, that question came up a lot!  But I'm at a point where I have stopped losing and have slacked in my determination to really stick with my program.  Then when clothes feel a bit more snug (like after my delicious indulgences over the weekend) I get discouraged.  It's time to get back to the basics.

During my weight loss journey I've found some things that have worked well for me.  One of them is the helpful advice in the book Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst.  Re-reading chapter 2 yesterday helped me a lot, then going to back to just the things I originally highlighted in those few pages this morning was like a lightbulb moment:
  • Because this wasn't really about the scale or what clothing size I was; it was about this battle that raged in my heart. I thought about, craved and arranged my life too much around food.
  • Is it possible that we love and rely on food more than we love and rely on God?
  • God never intended us to want anything more than we want Him.
  • Each time I craved something I knew wasn't part of my plan, I used that craving as a prompting to pray.
Anything else can go in place of "food" in this scenario.  I was chatting with a friend about how we use food the same way an alcoholic does alcohol.  It's a go-to in times of stress, depression, celebration or whatever.  But nothing is to be that important.  The proper place to run is the Lord!
He says, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” .... For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
The adversary can be a thing, not a person or entity! 
Let's determine to give up the stronghold for the strong tower of the Lord!

2 comments:

  1. Great Big "LIKE" on your blog and on your weight loss journey or should I say your Healthy Lifestyle Journey. Thank you fro being so open with your struggles and successes!

    ReplyDelete