for your inspiration banner

for your inspiration banner
Click here for just the posts about my weight loss. I hope you'll be inspired!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What Are You Afraid Of?

Yesterday I went home for lunch to find that my next door neighbor had hired tree surgeons. I almost cried. This picturesque tree in the middle of his front yard was one I envied every time I walked by with my dogs. Many times I have imagined them, back in the 50's when they moved into their brand new house, happily planting a little sprig and watching it grow into such a majestic masterpiece over the years. In my shock I asked the hired tree murderer why in the world he was taking that one. He said my sweet neighbor has been afraid for years that it would fall on the house.

On an episode of NCIS, Agent DiNozzo was giving Agent McGee a hard time about his fear of heights and he said, "You don't just get over irrational fears. They're irrational!"  We look at what someone else is afraid of and think they're nuts; and wonder why they don't understand ours. If our phobias were rational we wouldn't fear them!

I can relate. I used to be afraid of a lot of things. I would get really freaked out by driving in the rain, whether I was behind the wheel or a passenger. Then a few years ago I went to a women's conference where they prayed over all the ladies there that struggled with fear. At the time I knew I had a lot of fears. I didn't immediately feel any immediate deliverance or change. But the next time I was driving in the rain it hit me....I wasn't afraid any more! Then I started to notice that a lot of the things I feared no longer held me captive. WOW! Thank you, Lord!  The Bible says, 
"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28
It's not because He's out to get us. Just a couple of verses later it tells us why: He loves and cares for us. Whether it's supernatural deliverance from fear or us taking the precautions we need to, it's time to "get over it" - be free and live in peace.

Really, the tree next door looked like it could outlast the entire neighborhood. It was strong and healthy. But, now that hurricane season is here, my neighbor will be sleeping better at night knowing that he's done all he can to protect himself and his home from disaster. And I'm glad, because peace is priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment