for your inspiration banner

for your inspiration banner
Click here for just the posts about my weight loss. I hope you'll be inspired!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Dinner Challenge

Husband, shortly after being subjected to eating a small piece of chicken and bowl of salad for lunch: "Y'know what I want for dinner? Something that tastes rich, delicious and fattening but isn't."

OK, I'll accept.

So nice of him to join me in the healthy eating plan! But salad more than once a day sure won't cut it for him, though! So, what to do? Especially since all the ingredients have to already be in the pantry or freezer since I don't feel like going back out.

Digging in the recipe box I was reminded of something I found in a magazine many years ago, I think Woman's Day. I combined it with the recipe found online for a package of crabmeat that was in the freezer, and voila! Dinner: rich and delish!

"SLIM" Alfredo Sauce
3 tablespoons butter or margerine
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk (I use fat-free)
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Melt butter in 1 qt saucepan. Whisk in flour until blended. Slowly add milk and broth, whisking until blended. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally until sauce thickens (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in cheese until blended. Makes 2 2/3 cups, 6 servings (enough for 1 lb of pasta). 115 calories, 9 grams fat each.

I used the sauce instead of the jar to make Crab Fettuccini Alfredo. I must say it did come out quite yummy! I limit my carbs so the pasta was a big splurge, but oh so good!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment