for your inspiration banner

for your inspiration banner
Click here for just the posts about my weight loss. I hope you'll be inspired!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

A BIG Deal

I am having a hard time making sense of a few things. I'm generally not too over-emotional or passionate about causes. In all honesty, I'm too passive. But something's been burning a bit in me over the last couple of years and I don't know why other people (who are generally more outspoken) are not completely outraged. Is it just me? Since I have a blog, I can express these thoughts. And even if no one ever reads it, I'm hoping I'll feel a little better at having gotten it off my chest.

In today's newspaper, Shaquille O'Neal has been reported to have signed with the Boston Celtics for a two-year contract worth about $3M. That's three million dollars. I can't even imagine how much that is!
Now, not to pick on Shaq. He's a talented guy and if people are willing to pay him that much money - not to mention all his other stuff like movie, record and commercial endorsement deals - then good for him. But where in the world do they get the cool 3 mill for just one of many players?

If you want to go to a preseason game to see Shaq attack the 76ers, the cheapest ticket in the nosebleed section is $25. Plus parking, high priced drinks and snacks and the licensed apparel.
Closer to home, cheer on the Jaguars in a couple of weeks. Tickets are $40-$260 each. Plus the parking, drinks, team jersey, etc... The last time I went to a Jags game (to see the NY Giants!) I had to buy a few cold drinks to keep from passing out in the heat. The sun really beats down on you when you're just a couple of rows from the top in the "cheap" seats! And up there I couldn't see the field well enough to even know who had the ball. TV & AC are the way to go, particularly in August in Florida.

Most people I know are barely making it financially. I know more people looking for jobs than actually working. So who is spending their whole week's salary to go to a game? In an email from a friend that's been looking for work was something I already knew, "...around here the only jobs are blue collar that pay $9 an hour. I'm used to making three times that much." So much for the college degree.
As a nation, what does it say about us? We lavishly reward athletes for playing a game they probably love so much they'd do it for free. And go broke while we get no exercise watching them compete. There's just so much in there that is so wrong! And I didn't even mention the cost of college ball games...grr...I can keep ranting about this but so far I feel a little better for having expressed something that will likely go nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment